Dr. Usui taught a meditation by the name of Gassho Meditation. Gassho means “two hands coming together”.
Dr. Usui practiced this meditation for 20 minutes after getting up and and in the evening. It can be practiced each time at the beginning of Healing sessions, Reiki workshops and Reiki Shares.
How to practice Gassho Meditation
While this may look like many steps, this meditation is actually very simple, and once mastered, it will become second nature to you!
1. Sit down (or it can also be done standing), with your spine straight, but still comfortable, and your head in a neutral, upright position. Close your eyes.
2. Place hands together with palms touching in front of the middle of your chest, with your thumbs touching your heart chakra. Your fingers should be together and your hands at about the distance of a fist from your body. Your elbows should be slightly apart from your body and nearly horizontal. Shoulders should be relaxed.
3. Focus your attention at the point where your two middle fingers meet or in the space between your palms.
4. If your mind wanders, acknowledge the thought, then let it go and just refocus by returning your attention to the point where your middle fingers meet or in the space between your palms.
5. Make sure to keep your hands relaxed, meaning that you’re not holding any tension in them or straining to press them together. It’s ok to notice sensations, however try not to get caught up in them.
Gassho can be done alone or in a group. Group meditations are a wonderful experience since the energy increases far beyond the sum of the individual participant’s energies.
Benefits of practicing Gassho Meditation
– Gassho meditation brings a sense of peace, calm and strenghten your spiritual connection.
– Focusing on one thing, recognizing when your mind drifts away and gently returning to that focal point is a simple meditative technique that begins to quiet your mind.
– By bringing your hands together, you bring the left and right sides of your body and brain together. This is a powerful action that brings balance, healing and integration on all levels.
– It helps you develp the ability to discern the subtle sensations of life energy, the spiritual life-force inside and around you. You can use this sensory information to discern where to work for your own inner healing as well as using it in your healing sessions with others.
– Drawing of the Reiki symbols you are attuned to over your body before beginning the meditation
– Listening to soft, background music
– Chanting mantras
– Ask for guidance about an issue you are currently experiencing.
Giancarlo has over ten years of experience in practising and teaching Healing Arts. He is a Reiki Master Teacher of Usui/Tibetan, Holy Fire® and Karuna Reiki® systems of healing and works as a Consultant Spiritual Healer at the College of Psychic Studies in London.