Hoʻoponopono: The Healing Power Of Forgiveness
This post is based on Ho’oponopono: The Healing Power of Forgiveness.
The Hawaiian word ho’oponopono comes from ho’o (“to make”) and pono (“right”). The repetition of the word pono means “doubly right” or being right with both self and others. In a nutshell, ho’oponopono is a process by which we can forgive others to whom we are connected.
Hoʻoponopono is “mental cleansing“, to make right, correct, adjust and amend. Similar forgiveness practices are performed in other Pacific Islands, including New Zealand by the Polynesian settlers, the Maoris.
The ho’oponopono healing process works on Repentance, Forgiveness, Gratitude, and Love.
The Ho’oponopono process involves repeating the following words:
I am sorry
Please forgive me
I love you
Say these words with meaning and feeling multiple times during your day and notice how you feel.
Reiki And Hoʻoponopono
Reiki when combined with any other healing modality works wonders. We can combine Reiki with the Ho’oponopono process, bringing together healing energy with the power of forgiveness, love and gratitude.
Here is a suggestion:
Let us assume that you want to work on a difficult relationship you have with someone. This could be someone close to you, a colleague, or perhaps someone ‘I was rude to you while shopping at the supermarket’.
1. Acknowledge the fact that people, circumstances, events and even accidents are something that our subconscious has projected out into the word. Therefore, by working on the part in our inner world that has generated the disequilibrium, we bring balance and materialise it in the outer world. Energy follows thought and therefore intention moves energy.
2. Start with your Reiki treatment: ground your energy, call upon the power of the Reiki energy and any Guides/Ascended Masters you work with.
3. Meditate on the emotions that surface when you think of that person: Angry? Sad? Guilty? Write this down if you need.
Ask your body: “Show me where the source of this feeling is”. Wait for a response. You may suddenly feel a tension/pain somewhere in your body, or you may sense heat/cold/tingling or whatever change happens as a result of you asking that question.
Know that there is not right or wrong answer, so if you are finding it difficult to locate this area in your body, just notice the first thing that comes up in your mind. You can also guess. All answers are good answers.
You have now found the root cause of the feeling. Do not try to rationalise it too much, most of the time it is something that is coming from our subconscious mind; therefore it is something that we are not aware of.
4. In alternative, you can also use the Byosen scanning to identify the source of the feeling.
5. Bear in mind that the symptom and the source can sometime present in different parts of your body; for example, you may find that talking to a particular person leaves you with a tension on your neck or with a bad headache, while finding that root cause is on your chest or abdomen.
6. Work on the root cause of the problem. Continue to follow your guidance, draw the Distance Symbol followed by any other symbols you may feel drawn to use. Intend to send Reiki to the root cause of the feeling, for your greatest good and that of all people involved.
7. Now image the person you are working with. What does he/she look like? What is he/she wearing? Is he/she happy? sad/worried/joyful? If you feel comfortable with it, imagine that you are reassuring this person by saying “everything is going to be ok, this process is going to heal any unhealthy aspect of our relationship”.
8. Start to practice the Hoʻoponopono process. Hold the intention that you want to heal that part of you that has generated the problem outside of you. This part may be the same as the root cause identified through the process, or it may be different.
Say: “I am sorry, Please forgive me, Thank you, I love you”.
Repeat these affirmations as many times as you feel guided to. When the exercise feels complete, stop and keep sending more Reiki to seal the process. Notice if you are guided to use any other symbols.
9. If you have worked with cords/ties before, you can ask Reiki to dissolve any negative cords/ties between you and the other person.
10. Now imagine that he/she is leaving and going away by boat/car/airplane, train or simply walking away. Just wait until you do not see him/her anymore.
11. Give yourself more self-healing, particularly on your heart centre. Ground your energy. Show gratitude. Complete the session.
12. Ask how many sessions are needed, as you may be guided to repeat thiss process more than once.
13. Make notes on your diary, in particular any results you may notice in the coming hours or days.
This technique can bring incredible results, as I witnessed on myself and other clients. Just follow these steps with an open mind, making any changes in line with your intuition, and surrendering completely to the power of Infinite Consciousness.
Giancarlo has over ten years of experience in practising and teaching Healing Arts. He is a Reiki Master Teacher of Usui/Tibetan, Holy Fire® and Karuna Reiki® systems of healing and works as a Consultant Spiritual Healer at the College of Psychic Studies in London.