Simple Rules For Protecting Yourself From Negative Energies
Symptoms Of Negative Energies
Negative energies can take different shapes and forms; for example, other people’s thoughts and emotions are forms of energy that we can absorb. Sometimes we may walk into a place where we may feel really uncomfortable.
Are there certain people in your life who “drain” you, leaving you feeling exhausted after you have been with them? Do you struggle with negative thoughts and negative emotions?
The following may be some of the symptoms of negative energies affecting you:
- Feeling very tired
- Experiencing flashing images of a person
- Unexplained pain
- Feeling threatened, particularly at night
- Hearing voices
- Experiencing deep fear
- Seeing/sensing an invisible/visible presence at night
It is important to make sure you are fully grounded on a daily basis. There are many simple ways to ground ourselves:
- Concentrating on your breathing
- Paying attention to your body
- Walking in a mindful way
- Being in nature, hugging trees
- Eating healthy food, particularly root vegetables
- Drinking lots of water
Anything that brings us back into our body is basically grounding, but it’s also smart to know and practice grounding exercises that we can do really quickly. At first you should practice them with care, attention and intention for a few minutes, though after a while you will be able to instantly ground.
One of the easiest ways to ground is to bring your attention to the breath as it enters and leaves the bodies, not trying to change it in any way, just observing it. After about 10 breaths, you will probably find that you are more connected to your physical body. Then bring your awareness to the sensations in your body, moving from your head down to your feet, exploring and inquiring as you work your way around the body. Just a few minutes of this can bring you home to your body and to the Earth, and this is what it means to ground ourselves.
Then imagine that you have roots growing out of the soles of your feet, and imagine those roots flowing down into the Earth. The roots flow with us so we can always move, but at the same time they keep us grounded. Imagine these roots flowing down through all of the layers of the Earth and connecting right down into the magnetic core of the planet (or however you see the centre).
Then feeling anchored to the centre of the planet, imagine the energy from there flowing up through these roots into the soles of your feet, and then up your legs into your pelvic area and into your root chakra. Then feel it continuing to flow up through your chakras: your sacral chakra, the solar plexus and then the heart chakra. If you want to then you can ground all the way up to your crown chakra.
We receive powerful energy from the Earth just as we do from the forms of energy we associated with the sky, and our body is a tool that brings these two energies together. When we are grounded, we become a strong container in which our spirits can safely and productively dwell.
This is why grounding every day, especially at the beginning of the day, is such a beneficial practice. Fortunately, it’s as simple as bringing our conscious awareness to our bodies and the Earth on which we walk. It’s also very important to ground before and after a Reiki session.
Grounding simply re-connects your body’s energy with the energy of the Earth and this is a good practice for everybody as it’s very refreshing and invigorating.
If you are fully grounded is then advisable to start using some form of psychic protection. One example of such a technique is the following:
One example of such a technique is the following:
- Imagine yourself in a “Bubble” of golden or white light that surrounds your aura (you don’t have to see your aura for this to be effective; you just need to have an openness and acceptance of the process for it to work)
- Breathe into your bubble and intend that it is completely filled with Reiki and intend that the Reiki is energising and protecting you.
- Make sure that the boundary of your bubble is strong and secure (again rely on your feelings about this) and be clear in your intention. Breathe Reiki into any areas that do not feel right and intend to strengthen them with Reiki.
- With your out breath, intend to release anything from inside the bubble which is negative, discordant or inappropriate for you.
- Intend that the bubble will continue to keep you safe and protected throughout the day and night.
Instead of a bubble, some people might use a golden dome of protection and then fill that with Reiki. (The gold reflects any negative or inappropriate energy back to the Universe or the Earth for recycling.
Other people use eggs, pyramids or other shapes, and some put mirrors on the outside of their bubbles or eggs to automatically reflect any unwanted energies back to the Earth or the Universe. It is all down to personal preference of course, and with techniques like these you are only limited (or not) by your imagination.
- Whichever technique you use, the important thing is to make your intention clear (energy follows thought) and to have confidence in yourself and in the technique and develop a sense of knowing and trust that you are protected. Don’t focus on what it is protecting you from, as then your focus is on the negative rather than the positive.
- When you are doing this technique on a daily basis, then it can be easy to allow it to become a ritualised behaviour that you are carrying out without any feeling.
- So, try not to allow it become a chore for you. It is important for your energetic well-being, so keep that in mind and you can try and make it fun. (I sometimes liken it to cleaning your teeth; you might have tried to get out of it when you first started, but nowadays you certainly wouldn’t dream of leaving your house or flat without doing it first!)
- It needn’t take up much time in the morning. You can start off with a five or ten minute exercise while you get used to it. After a while you can get it down to a minute or less.
So, grounding and protection can be done in a minute or so in the morning before you leave home and of course they can be repeated throughout the day if you deem it necessary or beneficial. A strong, vibrant positive intention is the most important aspect.
Other articles from the Reiki Blog:
- 11 Tips For Creating And Manifesting A Successful Reiki Business
- Holy Fire® Reiki and Spirit Release
- Holy Fire: an ancient energy
- 11 Ways to Manifest Money With Reiki
- Energy Vibrations
Giancarlo is a qualified Usui/Holy Fire® III, Karuna Reiki® Master Teacher and trained with William Lee Rand, founder and president of the International Center of Reiki Federation and author of several Reiki books. He received the Holy Fire® III Reiki Master qualification at Mount Kurama, Japan and the Holy Fire® III Karuna Reiki® Mastership at Jerusalem, Israel.
Giancarlo is also a qualified Spiritual Healer of the College of Psychic Studies in London, a Spiritual Counsellor, a Spiritual Mentor and a Past Life Regression Therapist. He teaches courses and workshops in the UK and overseas and also runs a private practice in London.